boss Xaxi has told duo Cesar Azpilicueta and Marcos Alonso that he will do ‘everything possible’ to sign them this week, according to reports.
The relationship between the two clubs took a recent hit when the La Liga side hijacked a move for Sevilla defender Jules Kounde, .
Kounde joining Barcelona has been a substantial blow to Chelsea’s transfer plans , especially as the Catalan giants are still trying to sign Azpilicueta and Alonso.
However, Spanish outlet are now reporting that an agreement is close and that Xavi has been in permanent contact with the pair, assuring them a deal will be done. Barcelona also hope that may help in negotiations.
Xavi admits he ‘doesn’t know’ if De Jong will still be a Barcelona player come the end of the transfer window .
Chelsea have already lost Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen this summer to Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively, and though they have signed Kalidou Koulibaly permanently they want more defensive reinforcements before they allow Azpilicueta and Alonso to leave.
Thomas Tuchel’s side are said to be keen on signing Leicester City defender Wesley Fofana, but the Foxes are demanding a world-record fee for him.
They had been linked to Presnel Kimpembe – who has decided to stay at Paris Saint-Germain – and were also rumoured to be interested in a return for Nathan Ake from Manchester City.
Meanwhile, PSG’s new right-back Nordi Mukiele has revealed that he turned down a late approach from Chelsea.
The 24-year-old has spent the last four seasons in Germany and helped RB Leipzig win the DFB-Pokal in May.
Chelsea’s season gets underway on August 6 when they travel to face Everton.
, ., and .