Diogo Dalot has returned early to ’s training base after suffering an injury at the with Portugal.
It was disappointment for the Portuguese in as they suffered a shock quarter-final defeat to Morocco, with added frustration for Dalot who was taken off in that match with a suspected hamstring injury.
The report that any United players who were beaten in the World Cup quarters were due back at Carrington on Monday (19 December) but Dalot was back early on Friday morning.
How serious the injury is has not yet been revealed, but manager Erik ten Hag will hope Dalot will not be out for long as he has been an important figure in his team so far this season.
The 23-year-old has started 13 Premier League games already this campaign and six more in the Europa League, making the right-back position his own under the Dutchman.
He started three games for Portugal in Qatar, although this was with mixed success, playing in the 6-1 rout of Switzerland, but also the defeats to South Korea and Morocco.
Dalot’s contract at United only runs until the end of the season, although the club has the option to extend it by a further year.
The situation means his future is a little uncertain, with Barcelona and PSG linked with interest in him, but Ten Hag remains calm and says the option in his deal will be taken, as it will with Marcus Rashford who is in the same position.
‘We are talking to them to extend contracts, but we have control because we have an option on all the players and we will exercise those options,’ ten Hag said.
, ., and .
World Cup 2022: your FAQs answered
Read the latest World Cup news on .